The Brilliant Idea or Free Organic Fertiliser

A few days ago I’ve come across something called Aquaponic Gardening.  In two words,  it is a special system that combines aquaculture (raising fish) and hydroponics (growing plants without soil). The fish provide nutrients to the plants and the plants absorb nutrients that can become harmful for the fish if left up to high levels.  The pump pumps water from the container with live fish, then the water goes though the container with the plants, the roots of the plants absorb the necessary elements and then clean water goes back to the container with the fish.  There are few advantages (one of them – you don’t have to become an organic weed killer as there will be no weeds) and few disadvantages but in overall the idea sounds great.

BUT
I was thinking yesterday – how many of us can make such system? 10 percent? May be less. All we want to do is to plant our home garden seeds and get a harvest. And what about expensive tanks, pumps and electricity bills? How many of us can afford that? And then a brilliant idea came to my mind. It is simple but smart (heh-heh, I am being modest today).

You can see the picture below:

Modified Aquaponic System

Ok. This is my idea.  Just place two or free fishes in the water container, use water from it and add new water periodically. Of course, don’t forget to feed the fish. :) This method is even better for the plants as apart from the nutrients from the fish, plants will get vitamins from the soil.

Read also:
DIY – Upside down tomato planter
How to plant home garden seeds
Prepare garden soil for planting
How to make compost
Container gardening

Help the world! Use paper pot maker!
Have a look on my home garden seeds for sale!

(c) Home Garden Seeds

6 Responses to “The Brilliant Idea or Free Organic Fertiliser”

• Gigi says:

I first came to know about Aquaponic from my hubby. We have plans to have this in our dream farm someday soon, but using “Tilapia” fish. I do think its a brilliant idea that’s dual purpose as a source of food and organic fertilizer. Add us to the 10% making it 11% who will make and use this system. I think with the current situation (recession) more people will entertain this idea in making their own food. Btw, cute nice drawing. 😀

• admin says:

Thanks, Gigi, I am not so talented in drawing so this picture is one of my best 😀
    I am very pleased to know that people do such things and don’t use chemicals. I think you deserve a medal from Green Peace for saving environment :) I wish you all the best, have a great harvest this year 😉

• Daniel says:

This is a great idea and can be done as cheap or as expensive as you want. Start with a small system to get experience.

• Colin says:

great idea–but you’re missing an important element here. the only thing that makes aquaponics function properly is beneficial bacteria, microbes, and worms. they convert the ammonia in fish waste into nitrites, then nitrates (which the plants can actually use), keeping the fish and plants from dying. because the water is being used and replenished so often in this system, my guess is that it will be hard to keep a bacterial culture alive….

maybe just a really big tank?

• Eric says:

My idea was to:

1. put an aerator in the barrel so the fish don’t suffocate and die.
    2. make a garden in a tray or box with a very small drain over the barrel
    3. Every day take a bucket of water from the barrel, and dump it into the garden on top. The water will drain back into the barrel slowly over the day, thus filtering it and watering the garden!

There you have it, a manual, true aquaponics system!

• Leslie Depalmer says:

When I studied this I become aware that if I had not taken the time I would have missed this completely. Graditude for the info. Also, aquaponics information is spreading at a fast pace. I think that’s extremely cool:)

I wish I could be read better in Spanish, but I found a great site that will be of help with my veggies. Most tutoring net companies just sell netting and have no real expertise in agriculture. Hortomallas has a great library available to farmers as tutora means tutor as referred to a plant. I ran into this site by mere chance as I was trying to find the ideal product to tutor my backyard vegetables, and did not know that using netting reduces viruses and fungi. I will try now to go 100% organic!