Posts Tagged ‘organic gardenig’
Today I want to write about something very exotic. About growing morel mushrooms in your garden. Yes, you can grow them as you grow carrots or any other vegetables, but the preparation is a bit harder.
Before you start growing morel mushrooms you need either to buy Morel Mushroom Growing Kit or pick them up and get their spores. You can read how to do that on this site. I will write what you need to do after you get the spores/spawn.
First step: Site Preparation
1) Find a place for growing them in your garden. Morels require a shady site with a well draining soil.
2) Layout bed dimensions. The requirements are normally written in the instructions for growing kit.
3) Remove all weeds and grass from the site.
Site preparation is done!
Second step: Soil preparation
1) Burn some wood to get the ash. Leave it for 24 hours to cool down and then collect.
2) Mix it with topsoil, gypsum board, sand and peat.
3) Add morel spores. If you bought kit, check it: the spores should be brown or orange. If they are green, then the kit is bad. You won’t get any mushrooms. Break it up coarsely and mix it with prepared soil.
Soil preparation is done!
Third step: “Planting” morel mushrooms
1) Spread the soil with spores/spawn on top of prepared site.
2) Place some large burned logs on top (the best one is Elm tree).
That’s all. But the most hard bit here waiting. It is hard to predict when morels will grow up. It can be next season or 2-3 years later. So don’t be disappointed if you don’t see anything next season. Patience is a virtue. 😉
Benefit from fantastic savings on essay writing service reviews , just by taking a look at www.topofbestpaperwritingservices.com/