Posts Tagged ‘soil preparation’
People who want to have an organic garden have to remember one thing: it is impossible if you spray chemical herbicides over your garden bed. There are much better ways to control and get rid of weeds.
1) Use heavy mulching with straw and wood chips or shavings. Even if you put a light mulch of grass clippings around the weedy areas you will see that will do wonders to suppress them. But don’t over mulch or apply to closely to your other plants or places where you planted your home garden seeds. It is really cheap and healthy way to get rid of nasty weeds on your garden beds. The mulch softens the soil so that any weeds that come through are easy to remove.
2) Use Vinegar. It is more expensive way but it also helps. You can spray it every week or so in the bad spots and keep it off the good plants.
3) Turn your topsoil. You can do that, wait a few days so the weed seeds will begin to grow then heavily apply mulch to area and let stand for a few weeks to kill everything off. Obviously this is best done as early in the year as possible.
4) There is also one new method. Recent invention called weed torch. It is fast and easy way to remove unwanted vegetation. This inexpensive method effectively burns the tip vegetation of weeds. By the way, it can also be used to melt ice in the winter. You can watch the movie below about types of weed torches and by them on Amazon. They are cheap and easy to use but, again, be careful and do not use it close to the place where you planted home garden seeds.
Learn also how to:
Grow Plants From Seeds
Save Home Garden Seeds
Grow Herbs Indoors
Have a look on my home garden seeds for sale!
For indoor herb garden it is very simple: All you need to do is to get a potting soil (it is better to use organic potting soil) and put it in to the pot (not to the top. It is better to leave about 1 inch of space).
Use small pots if you want to plant home garden seeds. They don’t need big pots. And that’s all for growing herbs indoors.
When it comes to outdoor soil preparation, what you need to do once you have your location ready:
1) Make sure that it is completely clean.
2) Then you have to loosen your soil using shovel and then follow it with the rake. It will help you to release roots from other plants that were in the soil. Try to remove them completely.
3) Sprinkle it a little bit with potting soil from the market and mix it up using rake.
4) Select the area where you want to plant your home garden seeds and dig small holes.
The soil will be dry and it’s ok for it to be like that as you have to control the water drainage for most of the herbs.
Add a little bit of potting soil in the holes.
That’s all! Easy isn’t it?